The M113A3 is an upgraded version of the M113A1 fully tracked, lightly armored personnel carrier (APC). With the objective of extending their service time, the M113A3 was upgraded with a number of improvements such as a new engine and transmission, a new suspension system, and additional Kevlar lining on the interior.
Widely used by the U.S. Army since the Vietnam War, the M113A3 APC saw extensive use during Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), providing protection, to both crew and passengers on the battlefield.
Although being long replaced as a front-line combat vehicle by the M2 and M3 Bradley, the M113A1 served in a wide variety of roles such as armored ambulances, mortar carriers, engineer vehicles, and command vehicles with over 80,000 M113s in over 50 countries, making it one of the most widely used armored fighting vehicles of all time.
Academy M113A3 APC “Iraq 2003”, kit No: 13211, kit features:
- Detailed hull featuring weld lines, engine intake grill, bolts, and tiedown hooks.
- Detailed interior featuring the crew’s and passengers’ stations with seats, and instrument panels.
- Movable hatches, rear exit ramp and door after assembly.
- Newly tooled smoke dischargers, external fuel tanks, and side stowage racks.
- Single link plastic & vinyl tracks included.
- Choice between .50 caliber M2HB or 30mm Mark 19 grenade launcher.
- Redone M113A2 interior with separate seats, and other details.
- Various weapons and accessories including 40 mm grenade launcher, infantry weapons, ammo boxes, and bottles.
- 3 figures for 3 US soldiers.
- 2 marking options for 2 US vehicles deployed in Iraq, during Operation Iraqi Freedom.